What We Do
The Peekok YouthARTS Initiatives (PYI) is a non-profit, non-governmental and non tribal youth art scheme, offering various arts programmes for youths in Nigeria in particular and Africa in general.
It was founded in December 2007 by a group of young professional artists who met at the Top-12 Youthwork projects seminar organized by British Council Nigeria and Youngstars Foundation Int’l in Jos, Plateau State on how to take part in Youth Development Work. PYI started its operations in the Rayfield area of Jos, Plateau State but now operates fully in Lagos, Oyo, Osun, and Delta States through the cooperation and networking of professional artists.
Aims & Objectives
- • to create, implement and enhance artistic exposure, self discovery and youth commitment to art education in every part of the country.
- • to develop artistic skills among individuals for self expression, thereby enhancing a sense of accomplishment, self esteem and self worth.
- • to improve positive social attitudes and develop thinking skills.
- • to reduce juvenile delinquency through provision of a year round and after school art educative programmes.
- • to provide individuals with high quality of job training and with meaningful employment.
Just three years of existence, hundreds of young people of all ages have participated in Peekok YouthARTS highly acclaimed classes and workshops through the residency programme and the Performance Series provide many students with virtually their only exposure to live professional artists. Working with an artist during a residency gives students an opportunity to discover what the arts can mean to their lives.
We have YouthARTS coordinators in 5 States in Nigeria working with different schools’ arts instructors and specific target audiences. We work with approximately 500 youths per week which 98% are children and teenagers. We have participated in many international and global arts competition in U.S., UK and Asia which our children were highly commended.